Wednesday, January 7, 2015

It's not the Polar Vortex

So, we're not being visited by the Polar Vortex here in northern Virginia, but it was still cold enough this morning that my California-girl car, experiencing her first real winter, told me she had "insufficient coolant" and did not want to be driven! Fortunately, I was able to drive Erika's car, which is accustomed to cold winters now, and I wasn't late for my hair cut appointment.  

2015 has started off nicely.  Glenn was with us for most of the first day of the new year but then brought an end to a lovely two week visit by flying home.  The weather turned cold, warmed up, rained, became almost balmy one day, turned cold, snowed, then turned REALLY cold.  Cold by the standards of this former-California girl, anyway!  I've been told I haven't seen anything yet!

Already this January I have seen many a beautiful sunset and moonrise.  I've spent wonderful time with my granddaughter and her parents (especially my girl, her mother.)  I've tromped about the farm and our woods with Erika and Finley racking up steps on our FitBits.  I've marveled about the fact that goose feet don't freeze or stick to icy paths.  I've watched our soon-to-be-neighbors, Frank and Sharlene's house be built and their soon-to-be-born (tomorrow, in fact!) baby grow.  I've bundled up in the knitted mittens, hats, sweaters and scarves that I so rarely had reason to wear in San Diego. I've knitted and read and binged-watched two seasons of House of Cards. I've enjoyed hot soups and hot tea and a warm baby sleeping on my shoulder.  I've missed sharing all of this with Glenn, but I've felt ever so grateful to be spending this time on Snake Oak Farm.   




































1 comment:

  1. It look so cozy and inviting at your place! Hopefully we can make the trip to see the farm sometime not-too-far-away. The landscape is gorgeous. Keep warm!

    ReplyDelete