Friday, January 16, 2015

It's been cold

It's been a cold week and I, experiencing my first real winter (winters in Southern California don't count as winters!) am not sick of it yet.  I may be by the time Spring rolls around, or I may be one of those people who just likes winter.   I've met several of them since I've been here in Virginia and I suspect I'm one of them.  Time will tell!  In the meantime, Erika and I have been racking up steps on our FitBits while Christian is at work doing the same.  I think Erika and I are probably having more fun, though, since our steps are being taken all over our 27 acres (and some of Frank and Sharlene's 15)!

Here are some photos from our week:

The stream was frozen solid early in the week.   At one point, snow covered the ice and with one little misstep, my legs flew out from under me and I landed on my rear end!  After making sure I wasn't hurt (I wasn't) Erika laughed and allowed that I had fallen and scrambled to my feet again fairly gracefully.  She was smart enough to hold onto a tree limb when she walked out on the ice.






Our woods are lovely in some spots and rather raggedy in others.

Here's a peek at Frank's and Sharlene's house-in-progress as seen from the woods behind the house.  We're so looking forward to the day they and their brand-new baby, Abigail Faith, move in!

Erika noticed this rotten branch that fell in just such a way that it draped itself over another branch.


It seems there is a beautiful sunset every evening and Erika's and Christian's house is situated such to give us a ring-side seat.

This big old farm house is rather hard to heat, so sometimes we layer up while we're still inside!

We left the house early one morning this week after an overnight snow and had fun looking at all the different footprints in the snow.





We treated ourselves to breakfast at the Corner Deli in our teeny, tiny town.  We had the place completely to ourselves after the early morning breakfast rush.


It's difficult to get a photo of Finley on our walks -- she is always snuggled up close to her mama in the baby carrier and she usually falls fast asleep only minutes after we start out.


Me, shortly after my tumble on the ice.


The chickens went through their seasonal molt over the last several weeks.  While they are growing new feathers, egg production usually goes way down or stops.  We've been missing fresh eggs and were very pleased to find the first eggs of the season this week!

I wonder if Erika's love of geese comes from growing up with a full-sized Gladys The Goose lamp for a night light?

Another beautiful sunset.

Happy Friday from all of us on Snake Oak Farm!

No comments:

Post a Comment