Saturday, September 21, 2013

Feathering out...


The Warner chickens are now officially a bunch of awkward teenagers! Their partially feathered heads remind me of the peachfuzz/beard disaster that happens to most boys around the time their voice starts to change.


Speaking of voices, the noises these girls are making are starting to get a little bit more chicken-like.  There are a few I can identify right away.  There is the SQUAWK! PUT ME DOWN! call,  the WHAT THE HECK IS THAT BUZZZ CHIRP, and the LOOK WHAT I HAVE sing song frantic peeping whilst running around and playing keep away with a tasty mealworm.


These girls are starting to look more and more like hawks with their multi-colored brown plumage.  I wonder if that will afford them and the flock some degree of protection from the actual sky predators...


Shar was out with Frank last weekend for the chicken coop build.  As a lover of all black animals she took an instant liking to the cranky Cuckoo Marans girls and declared that they were not cranky at all.  Turns out she was right, many of them let her hold them and they have been even more friendly since her last visit.


They are also starting to look the most like adult chickens.  This one isn't a great example, but there is one who has feathered out almost completely.  Feathers or no feathers... these girls look like little dinosaurs to me.





I mean come on!  THOSE are dinosaur feet!!!


The Wyandotte girls are just as sweet as ever.  Rarely making a peep when I pick them up and hold them.  This morning Cleo and this girl took a ride on my shoulders around the fields.  Neither moved the entire time and there was no squawking either.



This photo just makes me laugh.  She looks like she is about to eat me.


Everyone will be fine in the brooder for another two weeks or so.  I've installed some roosts so they can get use to sleeping up there.  Most of them still end up piled up on the floor together.



These last two pictures are some of the forage grains I have been picking up for the girls.  On days that I'm off I walk out in the fields picking greens and seeds and the occasional grasshopper, cricket, or slug.  The girls love these little treats.  Hopefully I am introducing them to the outdoors little by little so that their free-range days won't be such a shock.

As Christian left for work this morning and found me walking around the yard with two chickens on my shoulders I can only imagine what he was thinking.  I have to say that I REALLY like chickens.  My mom, a life long self proclaimed bird hater, has always wanted chickens.   I think there is something different about them.   Something special. :)

1 comment:

  1. Great photos, girl! I'm sad to be missing those fluff ball chicks as they are growing up! Thanks for posting photos! You're right about something bei g different about chickens. I love with dinosaur feet!

    ReplyDelete