Wednesday, July 31, 2013

First Day!

We are IN!  Yay!

Christian and I finished signing all the paperwork yesterday afternoon and while he went to hang out with Kellan I ran back to the house to investigate the smell of propane with the Quarles rep and meet up with my handy-man Jim.

Just so you aren't worried, the propane guy finally figured out that the dryer connections were a little loose, tightened them up, and we were good to go.   In the process he tested our tanks, marked us for a re-fill, and discovered a baby-bird nest with the smallest little babies with gaping yellow mouths!  So cute and probably one of the many encounters with wild-life we will have on this little farm.

Mark, the Quarles rep, is actually dating a woman at the dairy farm down the road from us.  I had planned to stop down there and introduce myself at some point in the hope of being able to do some volunteer work and learn what's involved in taking care of dairy cows.   Now, thanks to this lucky turn of fate, and the faint smell of gas, we have new friend and another CONNECTION!

Monday, July 29, 2013

One more day...

The down payment has been transferred.  The final preliminary documents are signed.  The sellers have moved out.

The walk through is scheduled for tomorrow morning at 10:00 am Eastern Time. 

Final document signing at 1:00 pm Eastern Time -- and then the farm is ours! 

And, Erika has already ordered 15 baby chicks!

Friday, July 26, 2013

Still waiting...

A fat Fedex pack with a Virginia return address was waiting on our doorstep yesterday evening.  Glenn and I signed and initialed a million documents and they'll be flying back to Virginia today.

Money will be wire transferred on Monday.  And, Christian and Erika (with Power of Attorney for Glenn and me) will be signing the final documents on July 30th.

If all goes well.

Then, of course there is the issue of the well! 

Erika's and Christian's first official task as co-owners of a farm will be to have a (very expensive) UV filter installed on their farmhouse water system so they can drink the water and bathe until sometime soon when a new well will be dug.

I suppose something could still happen at this point -- the sellers could have a change of heart.  But, it sounds like the female seller's heart is in England with a man she is soon to marry, so there's a good chance things will go through just fine. 

Still, my fingers are crossed. 

Tuesday, July 23, 2013


We're waiting.

I suppose it is a done deal -- our credit has been checked and found to be just fine.  Mine was more fine.  Glenn's was 751 and mine was 794.

Insurance has been obtained. 

Now we're waiting for the close on July 30th. 

Erika and Christian are packing and I'm looking forward to my first visit to OUR farm at the end of August.  

With all the ups and downs so far, we still have our fingers and toes crossed, but it's looking like we just might be taking to the country! 

Erika shot this photo this weekend while she and Christian and friends were out driving around Remington.  I think this will be a common view for us soon!

Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Maybe, just maybe a little more

Loan approved, docs being drawn up. 

Appraisal came in higher than our purchase price!  But, shhh!  Don't tell the sellers. 

E has ordered a UV water filter so it can be installed as soon as she and C get the keys.

It looks like the farm just might become ours... 

Sunday, July 14, 2013

Magical Thinking

E & I have a little problem with magical thinking.  Sometimes, we think if we do something or don't do something, something we want will or won't happen.

C wants a flock of guinea fowl on the Farm.

When I saw this little fellow, I bought him for C. 

Then, negotiations on the Farm went south and I attributed it (not really, but sort of) to me having bought the wood carving. 

Now that things are looking up for us, I'm sure it's all because I bought this lucky little wooden guinea hen.  

Maybe, just maybe...

Maybe, just maybe we are going to be the owners with Erika and Christian of the farm in Remington.

What a roller coaster ride this has been!  Lots of back and forth, and more than once I've been sure it just wasn't going to happen.  But as of this morning we have a ratified contract for a lower price that allows for the extremely poor condition of the septic system and well.

We've been approved for a loan by Farm Credit of the Virginias -- the size of the property prevented us from getting a conventional loan -- and if all goes well Erika and Christian will be getting the keys   to their new home on July 30th.

They'd better just keep their metal detector off our side of the property!